Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:13:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        SADA Kenji <sada@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, girgen@partitur.se, obrien@NUXI.com, lioux@uol.com.br
Subject:   Re: Kill Netscape us ports and version 4.08. (was Re: Netscape browsers  us versions avail. abroad)

> Netscape ports users and maintainers,
>
> I'm planning to use c/n-v474-us.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz
> as distfiles of www/netscape47-c/n ports.
> In other words, Netscape us ports would be removed.
>
> Also I'm planning to remove Netscape-4.08 ports and make
> www/netscape47-c as MASTERDIR. Anyone needs those ports today ?

A couple of months ago (or so) someone proposed removing the old versions.
Someone else countered by saying that the newer ones consume more memory
than some users can spare.  No one mentioned the numerous security bugs in
the old versions.  Maybe they should at least carry a warning, something
like "if you are going to use these on the Internet, not just for viewing
files on your hard drive, read http://www.nat.bg/~joro/netscape.html
first".

> >> (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20109) for the
> >> bsdi-netscape47-communicator.us and bsdi-netscape47-navigator.us ports.
>
> Have you nominated me to be in charge of that PR ? (so I'm proud of it :)

Yes, thanks for noticing it.  It needs checksums added to your
netscape4-communicator port, and you took care of the last updates I sent
in.

> >> It looks like Netscape/AOL has decided to only provide 128-bit SSL with
> >> the new version.  However, people in a few countries--Cuba, Libya, the
> >> Sudan, North Korea, Serbia, and probably some I forgot--are asked not to
> >> download it.  If I were them, I doubt that I'd be keen on using anything
> >> from the USA, or that I'd care about consequences for Netscape/AOL.
> >> However, if someone gives me something with conditions attached, and I
> >> promise to abide by the conditions, I feel better when I don't break my
> >> word.  I don't mind doing a little work to maintain the 40-bit Netscape
> >> ports, for honest users in those places.
>
> Are you saying that we need www/netscape473-c/n and/or something ?

It looks to me like the only reason for the 4.73 version was to try to fix
the SSL problem described in
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-05.html .  However,
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-08.html says there's still a
similar problem in 4.73.  The "international" versions have crippled SSL
anyway, unless Fortify is used.  The Fortify people stopped development
after Netscape 4.72.  In light of all that, I think version 4.72 would be
best for the users I mentioned.

If you're looking to remove some, but not all, of the "international"
Netscape ports, I don't have much to say for my BSDI ones.  They're only
for i386; they don't run many of the binary-only plugins.  They're just
meant as a convenience for people who have trouble with the separate a.out
libraries.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt