Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:59:18 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@esys.ca>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Imap4

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 02:28:07PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

Sorry Lyndon, I didn't see John's original message until you
quoted it...

>     John> What I want is a reasonable IMAP4 _client_ that runs under
>     John> FreeBSD.  "Reasonable" in my book means that the client
>     John> fully supports disconnected operation, a requirement not met
>     John> by any of the Unix clients I'm aware of.  (Maybe pine
>     John> supports it, but it's unreasonable for other reasons. :-)

In what sense does TkRat not support disconnected operation?  I
honestly don't know, since I use it with a local qmail/fetchmail
spool, but it certainly builds with an enormous gob of IMAP (and
SMTP) know-how in it, and you can specify mail folders as
file, mh, database (tkrat's own), IMAP, POP3 or dynamic (a
directory of files).  These seem to be happy to access usenet
postings as well as mail, but I only use that feature for
reading messages I save from knews.

It's in the ports collection.

I still use a bunch of tools for mail, though: Elm's filter for
sorting mailing lists (old habit: I should change to procmail),
fetchmail for accessing my ISP's imap box, qmail for local delivery,
mailsmtp for off-site delivery to my ISP, mutt for reading mailing
lists (at least until tkrat learns about threading), knews for
news.  You're not looking for a single client that will do all
of these things, are you?

--
Andrew