Date:      Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:39:45 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>, current@freebsd.org,  <freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Project geom-events

Hello, Andrey.
You wrote 5 =CF=CB=D4=D1=C2=D2=D1 2011 =C7., 10:27:10:

>> It seems that you could change only geom_dev.c to get most of what you w=
ant.
>> Actually, the part of your changes related to the DISCONNECT events, and
>> maybe DESTROY events could be implemented in the geom_dev.
>   Does geom_dev knows all needed bits of information to report? It seems =
to me,
> that it isn't.
>   I mean:

>    (1) Class and name of GEOM which is affected.
>    (2) Name of provider which is affected.
>    (3) Name of underlying provider which is lost (consumer from
>        reporting GEOM's point of view).
>    (4) Resulting state of affected provider (fixable, alive, dead).
  And, I'm affraid, that geom_dev could not distinguish manual
operations with geom (performed from userland by administrator) and
real accidents. I don't want geoms to post DISCONNECTED or DESTROYED
events when administrator knows what he does -- and it could lead to
race conditions, when administrator rebuild array and forgot todisable
spare drives, for example.
  Other example -- geom_label creates and destroys about 10 labels on
boot (on my test VM) and, if DESTROYED will be reported by very
generic mechanism, it will end up with 10 e-mails to administrator on
every boot -- I've got this, when put notifications in too generic
place for first try.

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>