Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:54:28 +0100
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        Tony Nolo <tonynolo2@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failed binary version 6.2-6.3 update using freebsd-update.sh

On 02/11/08 22:56, Tony Nolo wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can someone please comment honestly as to where the best place to get
> a solution to this problem is, or whether it's reasonable to even
> expect one?
>
> So far, I've tried the irc channel, this mailing list, and the author himself.
>
> Andrew's been kind enough to swap a few ideas/questions around, but
> he's one person and likely busy ...  beyond that, being called
> 'stupid' in private IRC messages is about all the feedback I've
> received on this matter.
>
> I'd gather that there's some 'official' process for a end-user to get
> help with the recommended method of upgrading to a just-released
> version of freebsd.  Or, is there?

Tony,

for getting user support, there's questions@ or stable@. You may also
try one or the other web forum and IRC channel. security@ is not the
right place for asking for support or chatting AFAIK.

In your case, you're experiencing a bug and that's what GNATS is for.
You should consider filing a bug report (PR).

When filing a bug report, please include as much useful information as
possible.

I've never worked with freebsd-update but from checking your previous
posts, it seems like function "upgrade_merge()" does not work well
(${V} does not get input). Your output seems to be a bit garbled (out
of order output) and so I suggest you trying to get your system
running with a plain vanilla GENERIC kernel before trying to update.

If even that doesn't work out, please file a PR, run 'sh -x
freebsd-update.sh ...' as Andrew suggested and put the output file
somewhere where someone can fetch it for debugging.

If you're in hurry or don't want to spend more time on this, you can
always update your system the classical way (see handbook for
instructions).

HTH

Volker