Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:06:39 -0500
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   burncd can't/won't write from pipe?

I'm trying 4.5-RELEASE plus Soren's patches for the new ata driver and
burncd.  I just got a CD-RW drive, so I don't know if this used to
work or not.

The following does not work:

mkisofs -R <some_directory> | burncd -s 8 data - fixate

mkisofs exits fairly quickly without any error messages that I saw (it
did print some messages to stderr about files names that it was
using).

burncd prints:

next writeable LBA 0
writing from stdin

fixating CD, please wait..

and then sits there for a long time, with no activity from the CD-RW.
I can Ctrl-C out of it.

If I do the steps separately, everything works fine:

mkisofs -R <dir> > ~/dir.iso
burncd -s 8 data ~/dir.iso fixate

Am I doing something dumb?  What am I missing?

andrew