Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:32:00 +1030 (CST)
From:      Matthew Thyer <matt@camtech.net.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I get a USB mouse working in todays -CURRENT ?

What's involved in getting a USB mouse working in -CURRENT ?

I have a Micro$oft USB IntelliMouse 1.1A.

I have added everything USB to my kernel (as I'm not using any USB klds)
and have set usbd_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf.

My kernel and world are up to date as of about 3 hours ago and I have
updated my /etc files (and hence have the latest /etc/usbd.conf).

I disabled moused in /etc/rc.conf as usbd starts moused when attaching
mice.

This is what I see in the kernel probes (non-verbose boot with all the
USB debugging options):

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> irq 12 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision unknown, not supported
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ums0: Microsoft IntelliMouse, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
ums_attach: sc=0xc0921c00
ums_attach: X	8/8
ums_attach: Y	16/8
ums_attach: Z	24/8
ums_attach: B1	0/1
ums_attach: B2	1/1
ums_attach: B3	2/1
ums_attach: size=4, id=0

The problem is that the mouse doesn't work (its not a hardware problem),
all I get whenever I move the mouse are lots of the following messages
on the console:

Discarded 7 bytes in queue

Do I need to change /etc/usbd.conf in some way ?

Any help greatly appreciated as all my PS/2 and serial mice are dead
(luckily I read mail on my dumb terminal with PINE!).

--
| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |