Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:37:48 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        Henrik Motakef <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SGML/XML handling

Hello, Henrik!
Saturday, June 22, 2002, 5:22:33 PM, you wrote:

HM> After the problem with XML Catalogs that showed up recently, is there
HM> a solution yet? I submitted ports for the TEI DTDs some time ago
HM> (uncommitted yet, by the way - hint, hint!) that would be affected as
HM> well.
  I'm finishsing and polishing simple mkxmlcatalog, whcih is not
  depend on any other port. So, after two or three days we will have
  this tool as PR, and I'll prepare updates of some XML ports to add
  xml catalogs to them (docbook-xml and xhtnl for first time).

HM> I would not recommend just changing $PREFIX}/share/xml/catalog to the
HM> XML format, the main reason being that some software (notably PSGML)
HM> doesn't work with XML catalogs, but just fine with XML DTDs. Maybe
HM> adding a distinct ${PREFIX}/share/xml/catalog.xml and leaving catalog
HM> alone would be better.
  I think so too. We will need to update libxml2 to use this as
  default, too.

HM> Apart from the trouble with updating XML catalogs (adding some new
HM> catalog entry should be easy BTW, removing one seems to be the hard
HM> part),
  My utility will support addinfg and deleteing of any elements, It
  will support <publicDelegate>,  <systemDelegate> and <uriDeleagte>, when
  automaticaly add new <system> to most situable catalog, not ot root
  one).

HM> For example, the distinction between ${PREFIX}/share/xml and
HM> ${PREFIX}/share/sgml isn't always useful. The TEI P4 DTD for one is
HM> usable both as a SGML and XML DTD. The Docbook DSSSL stylesheets are
HM> usable for Docbook XML as well, but go into ${PREFIX}/share/sgml.
HM> Even worse, IMHO, the XSLT stylesheets for Docbook don't go in either,
HM> but in ${PREFIX}/share/xsl.
   I agree with you, but I could not decide something here :(

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev@serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |