Date:      19 Nov 1999 05:41:07 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw and ifconfig

Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Somebody asked, and I cannot answered:
>
> Why in FreeBSD, there is ifconfig _before_ ipfw?

I think it is because the default setup of the kernel (that is if you
don't enable the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT option when building your
kernel) will explicitly deny all packets with a rule of:

	65535 deny ip from any to any

Seems ok to me.  On the other hand, if you change this to `allow' then
you're probably accepting more things than you would like to, and it
doesn't really matter if ifconfig is the first or the last thing in your
rc-scripts anyway.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]