Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:30:34 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        tech-pkg@netbsd.org, ports@openbsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unification of distfiles

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 05:53:24PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:

> Basically, every mirror should run this once in a while. This establishes
> alternate access methods for files, based on md5/sha1/rmd160 checksums.
> The price to pay is that the mirror ought to be located on a system
> with unix filesystem semantics (and preferably a single partition) to avoid
> duplication of files.

In FreeBSD land we have a main package build cluster that continually
builds packages for all supported architectures and versions.  As a
side-effect of the package builds we collect, verify and periodically
update the distfiles on the master FreeBSD FTP site, and they are
mirrored from there by the hierarchy of FTP mirror sites in the usual
way.  From the point of view of the mirror operator this all happens
automatically and they don't have to do anything special to deal with
distfiles.

Given this, I'm not sure what the benefits of your process are for
FreeBSD.  Is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Kris
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--