Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:50:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD quest <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Usage of "restore"

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I don't understand how to use the restore command.
>
> root@freebsd:/mnt/dump # restore -v -t dump-9.1-RELEASE-20130123_193142-usr_f.dump
> Verify tape and initialize maps
> /dev/sa0: No such file or directory

sa0 is the tape device, used by default if -f is not specified.

> root@freebsd:/mnt/dump # restore -v -t -f dump-9.1-RELEASE-20130123_193142-usr_f.dump

That is the right way to list the contents.

> Verify tape and initialize maps
> Tape block size is 32
> Tape is not a dump tape

Except...

> dump -0Launf - $rootdir_a | bzip2 > "$dump_path-roota.dump"

The files that are called dump files are actually compressed with bzip2.
So they need to be uncompressed.  It would be good to change the backup
script to name the files ".dump.bz2" or something similar.

Untested, but overconfidently:

# bzcat dump-9.1-RELEASE-20130123_193142-usr_f.dump | restore -v -t -f -

For reference:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/backup.html