Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 11:19:42 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are HP DAT drives more unreliable than others?

On  2 Jan 97 at 1:06, Louis A. Mamakos proclaimed:

> > Oh no; you're telling me that DLT's are derived from the TK50??!
> >
> > 8)
>
> Everytime I see one, it gives me the willies...  I have many
> not so fond memories of installing Ultrix 1.x from TK50 tapes.  What
> interesting noises they made...

I still have an old TK50 in my garage.  You should have seen the
error messages I got when I foolishly tried to use it with FreeBSD!
Is a TK50 good for anything these days (other than a doorstop, that
is)?

Seriously, the new DLT's are supposedly quite reliable and with
capacities of 20 Gigabytes or more, DLT's are quite common on big
file servers these days.  I cannot vouch for them personally,
however.

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com