Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 21:13:07 +0100
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth Limiting

Hello Taylor,

Saturday, March 23, 2002, 8:38:39 PM, you wrote:

TD> You see it all the time on webhosting services and such.  They limit you to
TD> say, 2 gb transfer a month, or limit your pipeline
TD> to 256kbps, something similar to that.  I was wondering what technologies
TD> are they using?  What kind of logging software are they using?  Is there
TD> something available for FreeBSD that does this?  And does it only log web
TD> traffic, or any traffic such as FTP, web, real streams, etc.

TD> Taylor Dondich

TD> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

I am going to try out a port called 'ipa'. A ipa rule takes its stats
from a firewall rule. When a rule is reached you have the option to
execute command such as adding new firewall rules. A pipeline alone
can be made with the traffic shaper in ipfw. And a limit is reached
you can block or lower the bandwidth.

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl