Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 19:24:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        dglo@SSEC.WISC.EDU (Dave Glowacki)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD interface

> I'm trying to bring up xmcd on FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.  By default, it tries
> to use /dev/rcd0c to communicate with the drive, but that results in a
> bunch of "SCIOCCOMMAND ioctl failed: Permission denied" messages (even when
> running as root).
>
> According to the cd(4) man page:
>
> 	In addition the general scsi(4) ioctls may be used with the cd
> 	driver, if used against the fourth (raw/whole disk) partiton.
> 	(e.g. rcd0d)
>
> but after creating /dev/rsd0d with "mknod rcd0d c 15 3" and reconfiguring
> xmcd, I get "Cannot open /dev/rcd0d: errno=6"
>
> Does anybody have this working with 2.1.0?

Might this be an older version of xmcd that opens the device read
only?  I think it was patched at some point to open it read/write.
To use the generic scsi calls you need to open the device read/write.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936