Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:28:23 +0200
From:      Rick van der Zwet <rick@wzoeterwoude.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gcc minimum need to version at least 3.4.3  how to specify?

aude havely depends at at good working gcc version, but I can't find at
way to properly define the minimum version of gcc.
I can only specify USE_GCC = 3.4+, but it's will not fit the proper
range, cause 3.4.2 will turn into a build failure.
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk will only provide control of major releases and
not minor releases, but when I look at
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/ChangeLog, I notice for example at
2005-05-19  Release Manager

 >---* GCC 3.4.4 released
but no sign of updates at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk

My simple guess will be to update the /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk with the
new releases too, but then you still have the problem when installed gcc
from ports.

Desired example (to my opinion)
Base version       : 3.4.4
lang/gcc34 version : 3.4.6
lang/gcc40 version : 4.0.4
| USE_GCC version                  | Takes
| -anything below 3.4.4-           | Base
| 3.4+ (will be treated as 3.4.0+) | Base
| -anything below/and 3.4.6        | Port lang/gcc34
| -between 3.4.6 and 4.0.4         | Port lang/gcc40

I honestly don't have a clue have to program this into bsd Makefile.

Cheerz,
Rick