Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2015 22:28:00 -0800
From:      Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] Upcoming change in dependency registration

Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Some changes are coming to the ports, the diff is rather simple, but
the change
> of behaviour is worse notifying all maintainers:
>
> Currently and since very long the dependency registration in the ports
tree is
> based on the origin of the packages. which makes it unfriendly with
FLAVORS and
> Subpackages.
>
> The ports tree has been changed in the branch
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/projects/rework-dependency-registratio=
n/

> so now it basically do the same kind of mechanism which is done during =
the
> different -depends targets, which means it is passing through all the
> LIB_DEPENDS resolving the dependency pattern into a filename:
> libintl.so -> /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8.1.2 then from that path
determine the
> package which should be registered in the dependencies
> it is walking through all the run depends resolving the dependency
pattern the
> following way:

Not sure if this means that if we link with multiple libraries provided
by the same port we should start adding explicit LIB_DEPENDS lines for
each one... also, it occurs to me that this information could possibly
be automatically extracted by inspecting the staged files, something
like the generate-plist target.