Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 01:04:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Jon Van <jonvan@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: thin OS under intranet...

Well the interjet is only supposed to be an "appliance"  in the same way
that a vcr is an appliance. It's not designed to do massive compute
intensive applications, otherwise it would have to cost a lot more..

I would suggest that you simply take FreeBSD 2.2.5 and run apache
on a P6-200 machine of your choice. That is the same as the IJ is running
(but it only has a 486/DX4-75.)

The other thing is that being an appliance, the IJ doesn't allow
shell logins (even for the admin) or teh execution of ANY user supplied
code. This means that active CGIs cannot be added by the user.

As much as I'd like to be able to say "Sure the IJ can do that" I have to
say instead. "That's not what the IJ is designed to solve"

Most of the technical features of the IJ that we've added however ARE
available in FreeBSD e.g.
The multi-link PPP daemon.
IP firewall and Divert code useable for NAT.
Appletalk/Samba itegration.
MCI certified Frame Relay support. (well, in a week)
It's juust all the management and reliability software, and the hardware
that makes it the IJ.

 On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Jon Van wrote:

> hey there!
>
> I'm putting together a bizplan and I want to get away from the
> unreliable nature of Win95.  I have plans of using the InterJet and want
> to attach clients with a thin OS.  I recently found out that the
> InterJet may work nicely for sharing a single comm line for a LAN and
> allowing the flexibility of having an onsite mail server, however it
> does not have the power to serve up active webpages (have a requirement
> for video/animation).  The question is what sort of hardware will it
> take to have freeBSD/Apache serving up .avi files or RealPlayer, etc?
> Pentium 200, 233, 266......?
> and how much is the Apache software for freeBSD platform?

It's free of course..
BTW we'd love to hear about your thoughts about the IJ..

> RSVPASAP,
>
> Jon Van

julian