Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 17:38:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading RAM for my FreeBSD box - so many choices! - help please

I don't pretend to be a hardware - knowledgeable user, and I am upgrading the
RAM on my FreeBSD system, so I thought I would ask about possible effects the
different types may have on performance.

Right now, I have 32MB of EDO Ram that came with the system.

I want to add two 8MB 72 pin SIMMs, to bring the total to 48MB
Is it really necessary to get EDO?  I have heard that EDO is really just a
gimmick, and that any performance gain is small - but the price difference is
huge.  Also, parity or non-parity?  And is 70ns acceptable speed, or is 60ns
standard now?

Finally, I understand that I need to recompile the kernel so that it may access
over 32 MB of Ram, is this correct?

Thanks again for all the help from this list.
John