Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:05:33 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Bryan Collins <bryan@casper.spirit.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundpro HT1869

Bryan

> I got a pcchips M747 motherboard
> This board has onboard Soundpro HT1869V+ sound chip on it

PCChips have a terrible habbit of relabeling and renumbering all the
chips
they use.
Your sound chip is actually made by Crystal Media, and is
either the ISA 8330 chip
or         PCI 8338 chip

I'm use the 747 uses the ISA 8330.
(ignore the fact that it says 'PCI' on the top of the chip. It is ISA.

I've had the ISA 8330 working on FreeBSD.
It needs carefull setting up. I had to do alot of hand configuration
to the PnP settings and wish I had had more time with the motherboard
to get FreeBSD to recognise it.

Anyway, normally the chip takes 3 IRQs (one for SB 16 mode, one for
MSS mode, one for a MIDI UART) and uses both SB base address 0x220
and MSS base address 0x530 etc etc.

You want to use the pcm driver in FreeBSD.
And as the drivers PnP id is not recognised by Luigi's PCM driver, you
need to put the base address and IRQs in the kernel config file.
device pcm0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 10 dma 1
or whatever values you have.

So, you can make it work.

Watch out for the onboard video. It is an Sis 6326.
XFree86 3.3.5's graphical config program crashes on this
chip. You need to run the text based XFree config file
generaion program.

However, once that is made, the SVGA server runs great.

I've got one of these cards in the house.

Roger