Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:53:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@iii.co.uk>, Andrew ? <andrew@ugh.net.au>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, E Lakin <pharaoh@u.washington.edu>, "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@rush.aero.org>
Subject:   SUMMARY: Apple Newton MessagePad

Well, I really like -chat ! ;-)
Thanks to everybody who replied.

I wrote:
[..]
> I found the Apple Newton MessagePad, which seems pretty cool:
>
> 1. LCD display sufficiently wide
> 2. interfaceable to a PC
> 3. handwritten recognition
> 4. real keyboard
>
> Any comment about this toy or suggestions about similar ones ?

There are two fronts here on -chat:
- those who suggested the USRobotics Palm Pilot
- those who suggested the Apple Newton MessagePad 2000

I choosed the Newton, because for what _I_ am going to do, the Palm
Pilot is too small. Anyway, I think the Palm Pilot is a very good toy
too, especially for the price.

If someone is interested in PDAs or Windows CEs and similar, the
august issue of Byte Magazine has a (biased :-( ) report:
"Hand-Helds get serious", in which they compare 10 hand-helds, from
the MessagePad to the HP 320LX to the Philips Velo 1 to the Palm
Pilot. I think you can find the article also online (www.byte.com).

Here I'm reporting some of the replies (edited to save space) to my
original posting, including comments, comparisons between the
MessagePad and the Palm Pilot and useful pointers to free
software (also for UNIX platforms!) to develop programs for both the
MessagePad and the Palm Pilot. Thanks again to the wonderfully "not
normal" people on -chat.

-------- Regarding the Newton MessagePad: --------

-------- Regarding the US Robotics Palm Pilot: --------

> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 10:39:42 -0700
> From: Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
>
> > Any comment about this toy or suggestions about similar ones ?
>
> I'm partial to the PalmPilot, from US Robotics.  It lacks a lot of
> features compared to the latest Newtons or Windows CE (whatever the
> heck that means) palm computers, but it's cheap, does what I need,
> and fits in my shirt pocket, which no other palm computer can boast.
> So far.

> From: Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
> Subject: Re: Apple Newton MessagePad
>
> Amancio Hasty wrote:
>
> > Same here plus I like the PalmPilot. I think that there is a unix
> > interface for it.
>
> Aye.  At ftp://ryeham.ee.rverson.ca/pub/PalmOS is a collection of
> FreeBSD-compatible utlities that I use both at home and at work to
> talk to my PalmPilot.

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' di Milano, Italy.
"This snakeskin jacket symbolizes my individuality and belief in personal
 freedom".