Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 10:52:05 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 3.4 to 4.0 upgrade w/ March 2000 CD's?

> > Are there any 3.X to 4.0 upgrade instructions or tutorials
> > for dummies? I really don't have a lot of time to figure
> > everything out, but would like to start working with 4.0.
> > Did any of the /etc configuration files or directories change
> > from 3.4 to 4.0? I would bet they did.
>
> You can use the 'Upgrade' choice in sysinstall to add all of the new
> binaries. Then, if you want to update /etc-type files, install the
> source code from the CD and then run 'mergemaster.' It will walk you
> through updating config files.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

Thanks for the pointer Crist...

I'm unclear on why I need to install the source code? All the
code for 4.0?

I read the man page for mergemaster on www.freebsd.org, and have
once again confirmed that I have almost zero comprehension when
reading man pages. There seem to be a few missing details I'd like
to understand, before I start...

In the upgrade process I'm supposed to specify a directory to preserve
/etc into. How does this relate to mergemaster? Is this directory
compared by or used as a source by mergemaster? If it is, how does
mergemaster know where I put it? Do I use the -m directive to specify
the directory I chose during the upgrade to save /etc into? If so, the
upgrade says it saves /etc, but mergemaster builds a temporary root,
shouldn't I save the whole root and not just the /etc subdirectory?

I guess I shouldn't save /etc into /var/tmp/temproot which is where
mergemaster is supposed to "build" it's temporary root? "Building a
temporary root" sounds like it would overwrite anything that was already
there. Do the merged files just end up back where they are supposed to
be, or do they end up in /var/tmp/temproot, requiring me to copy them
back to where they are supposed to be?

How about a picture? Maybe something like ...

Upgrade, preserver /etc into /var/tmp/etc

mergemaster -m /var/tmp/etc

0. FreeBSD 3.4

1. upgrade to 4.0
	FreeBSD 3.4 -> FreeBSD 4.0, old etc saved in /var/tmp/etc

2. install source code from 4.0 CD's ??
	Huh? All the source? Can I somehow leave the source on the
	CD and point to it?

3. mergemaster -m /var/tmp/etc
	/etc + /var/tmp/etc ==> /var/tmp/temproot

4. put merged files back in root, or does mergemaster do that?
	cp /var/tmp/temproot/* /etc
	??? this sure sound like a bad idea ;)

With something as significant as a 3.x to 4.0 upgrade, it seems like
someone would have written up a couple pages of instructions just to
avoid answering questions from idiots like me :)

I did find the following FAQ on the subject...

	Q: How do I upgrade from 3.X -> 4.X?

	A: We strongly recommend that you use binary snapshots to do
	this. 4.X-STABLE snapshots are available at releng4.FreeBSD.org.

	If you wish to upgrade using source, please see the FreeBSD
	Handbook for more information.

	Upgrading via source is never recommended for new users, and
	upgrading from 3.X -> 4.X is even less so; make sure you have
	read the instructions carefully before attempting to upgrade
	via source this!

To summarize the FAQ, I should use the "strongly" recommended binary
method, but the only instructions mentioned are for the dreaded
source up grade! Boy, that was helpful.

As usual, frustrated by my own ignorance ... Cla :(