Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:02:32 +0200
From:      Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@fujitsu-siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP on 5.2-20040531-SNAP-ia64

Hi,

I installed the 5.2-20040531-SNAP-ia64 on a HP zx6000 with 2 itanium2 cpu's.
Then I compiled a new kernel with the current source in /usr/src with SMP
switched on in the kernel config file.
The build was fine but the kernel didn't boot. I looked at the source and
added some extra trace messages.

in sys/ia64/ia64/sal.c:
#ifdef SMP
if(bootverbose)
  printf("before ia64_sal_entry\n");
result = ia64_sal_entry(SAL_SET_VECTORS,
                            SAL_OS_BOOT_RENDEZ,
                            ia64_tpa(FDESC_FUNC(os_boot_rendez)),
                            ia64_tpa(FDESC_GP(os_boot_rendez)),
                            0, 0, 0, 0);
if(bootverbose)
  printf("after ia64_sal_entry\n");
#endif

So I saw that the second message never was printed on the console,
instead the machine did a reboot.

So my question. Did I forget something or is SMP in the current state not
possible ?

Many thanks.

Dietma Hahn