Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:33:42 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMware2 gethostbyname() failed

Hello

I installed the vmware2 port on a very recent FreeBSD stable. Here's the error I get:

[roth@fatbitch ~] vmware -h
Setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp.
/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: invalid option -- h
Usage: /usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware [-s name=value] [-qxX] [X toolkit
options] [configfile]

-----------
Error:
This computer doesn't have a valid host name
(gethostbyname() failed) yet it tries to lock
remote file /home/roth/.vmware/preferences.
Cannot lock the preferences file.
Module 10 initialization failed.
-----------

If I omit -h I get the same error, but vmware starts. I navigate through
the configuration wizard, choose host-only networking, everything seems
fine. I power on the virtual machine and get more errors:

An error occurred while attempting to lock disk /opt/vmware/win2000.dsk.
VMware Workstation cannot detect if other processes are using this disk
at this time.

If your disk is on a FAT filesystem, this message is harmless.
You can press OK safely if you are certain that no other application is
currently accessing the disk.

The virtual disk is located on the same disk as the guest operating system,
an UFS partition. I hit OK, and here's the next error:

Your virtual machine is running with a disk "/opt/vmware/win2000.dsk"
on a remote file system.  Consequently, disk writes may be much slower
compared to a disk stored on a local file system.  You can improve performance
by copying your disk file to a local file system.

I hit OK again, and the system starts booting. Wasn't able to install an
OS yet, but that might be a different problem.

Oh, and the preferences file will not be saved.

Anyone knows what's wrong? I have run vmware.sh and rtc.sh from /usr/local/etc/rc.d
and linproc is mounted.

cheers, Tobe