Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 21:48:58 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Salon article on BSD

On Wed 2000-05-17 (18:35), Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Well, whatever suits him -- and linux has improved phenomenally in the
> > last 3 years, ie since its 1.2 days, so he must be doing something
> > right.  One can't say what *would* have happened if he'd done things
> > differently.
>
> If he had adopted a constraining tool like CVS, Linux would have
> forked on no less than 3 (mathematically) documentable occasions.

What do you mean by "constraining"?  Linus's stated objection to CVS is
that it leads to "oh well, put it in, if it breaks, back it out", which
seems not to imply constraint.

Linus's personal multi-tasking abilities (as impressive as they seem to
be) are more likely to constrain development (if that's what you mean)
than a CVS tree would.

Or do you mean Linus's non-use of CVS has led to no forks because it's
impossible to keep up with the changes and what the purposes of them
are?  I imagine that a CVS tree (of the Linux kernel) would help a lot
in keeping concurrent development of an alternate kernel with an
increased number of committers (in the alternate kernel).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems