Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:04:45 +0100
From:      Jim Chapman <jim.chapman@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@Freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI Tape

I need help with an ATAPI tape. I have release 3.1 and a Seagate drive.
I configured the kernel by adding a line
device wst0
and rebuilding it. Now the tape looks OK when the system boots. When I
give the command
dump -0 -a -f /dev/rwst0 /var the drive works and I get the following
closing /dev/rwst0
wst0: 2621440d total bytes transferred
atapi1.1: controller not ready, status=c0<busy,ready>, error=c0
wst0: Sense media type failed
and then the system hangs and I have to reboot.

If I change the device for the dump to wst0 it creates a file of that
name and writes the data to it.

Should the kernel be configured with rwst0? I am stuck with this one and
need guidance? The man page for wst just confused me more.

Thanks, Jim Chapman