Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:28:57 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ouch... (DEVFS)

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have two problems with DEVFS (sources are from yesterday).
>
> 1. Running multiuser, as soon as I try to umount the DOS partition,
> machine panics with something like:
>
> _panic
> _wdcontrol
> _wdintr
> Xresume14()
> --- interrupt
> vec14
> _pmap_enter
> _vm_fault
> _trap_pfault
> calltrap
> --- trap
>
> >cont
>
> syncing disks 19 19 19 19 [...] .... giving up
> rebooting
>
> This is 100% repeatable.

damn I fixed this a few months ago
and it's come back..
Dosfs is relying on something that really doesn't make sense.
I'll have to find it again.. thanks for the info, I'll look at it again.

> 2. On another machine, with one SCSI disk on AHA2940, with one big slice
> (but in non-dedicated mode), the mountroot tries:
>
> sd0s1a
> sd0s2a
> sd0s3a
> sd0s4a
what does the rest of the dmesg say?
(when it's looking for slices)
and what does fdisk and disklable say about the drive in question?
this one should be quite easy to fix.

> and doesn't like them, and then of course panics because it cannot mount
> root. The root partition is on sd0s1a...
yeah but I bet there's something funny about it..

julian