Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:20:29 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Aaron Hill <hillaa@hotmail.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on PPPoE & ADSL (Telstra Bigpond)

"Gary T. Corcoran" wrote:

> Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > no chance of adding a netgraph interface?
>
> Sure there's a chance - if I get some free time...  ;-)
> But I'm not at all familiar with netgraph.  I've never used it.
> What advantage would there be to adding it?  (and can you point me
> to a sample driver that would show me what needs to be done?)

for more info, look at:
http://www.daemonnews.org/200003/netgraph.html

The drivers for if_sr.c and if_ar.c have been netgraphified,
(though they have some problems)

also the following drivers have netgraph functionality:
dev/musycc/musycc.c
dev/usb/udbp.c
dev/lmc/if_lmc.c

As well, the ethernet interfaces have been netgraphified
(netgraph/ng_ether.c) and I think that the i4b ISDN stuff
has some startings of netgraph compatibility.

Basically the driver needs only handle whole FRAMES in an opaque manner
and let the other netgraph nodes handle all the protocol stuff.
(Why should a driver know about PPPOE?).

> > ok ok so you already do pppoe but do you do multiple pppoe sessions with
> > ability to be a pppoe server? (which netgraph does.)
>
> No, I don't support multiple pppoe sessions.  This card is geared to be
> used on a client on an ADSL line, where the downstream rate is much
> higher than the upstream - in other words much better at downloading
> than serving. :)  And most DSL providers tend to get upset if you run
> a server from a residential service...  :-)   Most businesses use SDSL -
> symmetric DSL, which this card doesn't support.

but some DSL providers allow you to select from one of several providers
on a single
DSL cloud. By allowing multiple sessions you can set up several
'redundant'
links out through the single DSL link, to several
such providers to (hopefully) get aroung their breakages.. :-)

> The other thing is that in order to support the PPP flavors of DSL (RFC2364),
> we have to load a sync PPP module.  I used the syncppp.c code from FreeBSD,
> but it wasn't quite usable as-is so I had to tweak it.

Since PPP and mpd know about netgraph they can just connect directly to
the netgraph interfaces offered after processing by the pppoe protocol
node.
mpd even does one better, by linking a kernel ppp netgraph node to the
pppoe node, and letting it handle all the ppp decoding in the kernel.

> Of course that
> module is only providing PPP, not PPPoE - the DSL driver itself does the
> PPPoE negotiations before letting the PPP go through.  Then it just adds/
> subtracts the PPPoE wrapper on the frames (when in PPPoE mode).

Why should a driver know about PPPOE? They are talking about using it
on cable systems too... shouldn't it be independent of the driver? :-)

> Given this framework (ppp0 interface -> ltdsl driver), would netgraph
> fit in?  Would the sync PPP code also have to be modified to use
> netgraph?   In the other flavors of DSL (RFC1483), the DSL card appears
> as an ethernet device to the system.  As you may be able to tell, without
> knowing what netgraph really does I'm a little bit at a loss as to how/why
> to use it...  But if it's relatively easy to add support for netgraph, and
> it has some advantages for the user, then I'm willing to give it a shot...

Have a read, and tell me what you think..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org