Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:05:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI-SC200 SCSI Controller on ACER AP43 486 Motherboard

Hi...

	I asked earlier about this, but figured out a little bit more
detail that might help.

	First, I'm trying to get a PCI-SC200 controller running on a
486DX4-100 ACER PCI motherboard (the motherboard has BIOS support for
the 53c810).

	When I boot up, just before F1-FreeBSD comes up, the SCSI
controller comes up, and probes the SCSI devices, and finds all three
of my drives, therefore I'm assuming that the controller works.

	After hitting F1, and hitting return at 'Boot:', the operating
system also find the ncr0 device, with a message of (not 100% exact):

ncr0: <53c810> rev 2 int a irq 12 on pci0:11

	After which, it panics and reboots.

	So, I'm assuming that FreeBSD is properly finding the controller.

	Now, one thing I hadn't thought about in the last, which is
prompting me to write a new "query".  I have an ATI Mach64 PCI 4M video
card in this machine, that on a normal boot (without the PCI-SC200 installed)
as:

FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE #5: Thu Feb  1 23:29:03 EST 1996
    scrappy@ki.net:/home/stable/sys/compile/kinet
CPU: i486 DX4 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x480  Stepping=0
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
real memory  = 16777216 (16384K bytes)
avail memory = 14807040 (14460K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <SiS 85c496> rev 49 on pci0:5
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0 on pci0:15
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
<etc, etc>

	It didn't click in the first time that the failure was occuring
between findign the ncr0 and not finding the vga0, but I'm not sure if
that is relevant.

	Where does the OS "look for" the sdx devices?  ie. should it
be probing for the SCSI devices before finding the vga0 device?  Or
sometime after that?  My first assumption is that it should be before,
right after finding the controller itself.

	Hopefully this is better detail then my last one.  I'm sending
this to the -current list as well, as this may be something that *was*
a known problem and has been since fixed in -current.  I had thought about
just grabbing ncr.c and ncrreg.h from -current and plugging it in, but
didn't figure that was a wise thing to do (a diff between -stable/-current
shows alot of changes, to the extent of defines totally being renamed)

	I have no problems with having to reboot and test out things on
this machine to get it working, so suggestions/recommendations are most
welcome.

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc