Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:26:37 -0000
From:      "local.freebsd.questions" <freebsd-questions-local@insignia.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Matrox support for XFree86 on FreeBSD

Yesterday while upgrading XFree86-Server from ports I saw the
following, which I can't recall seeing before:

>Define WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER to include Matrox's extra
>"HALLIB" binary driver

And indeed it then pulled down drivers from the Matrox
site and I see mga_hal is loaded in the X log. Amazing!

I had thought that these drivers were for Linux only.

The question immediately arises, in what way is XFree86
better with these drivers (on a G400) than the normal
open-source drivers? If it's only enabling TV out then
on a bog-standard G400 I won't see any benefit I guess.

And is there any way I can persuade mplayer to allow me to
use xmga or mga for output? It seems to look for a /dev/mga_vid
which isn't present on FreeBSD.

jim hatfield