Date:      Wed, 23 May 2007 17:36:31 +0100
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        scottl@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   AcerLabs/ULi SATA woes (was: Re: Gigabyte GA-VM900M caveats)

The affected Gigabyte motherboard boots fine with a JMicron card -- the
hard workaround was to disable the VIA onboard SATA and IDE controllers
completely and swap in the spare PCI-e card.

However, the machine I swapped this card out of does not boot now:

atapci1: <AcerLabs M5287 SATA150 controller> port
0xec00-0xec0f,0xe880-0xe887,0xe800-0xe80f,0xe480-0xe487,0xe400-0xe41f
mem 0xfebff800-0xfebffbff irq 21 at device 31.1 on pci0
atapci1: Reserved 0x20 bytes for rid 0x20 type 4 at 0xe400
ioapic0: routing intpin 21 (PCI IRQ 21) to vector 51
atapci1: [MPSAFE]
atapci1: Reserved 0x400 bytes for rid 0x24 type 3 at 0xfebff800
atapci1: AHCI controller reset failure
device_attach: atapci1 attach returned 6

This is with -CURRENT p4'd with an IFC from around 2-3 weeks ago on
branch bms_netdev, which suggests the regression is still present in
-CURRENT. 6.2-STABLE from around 1 month ago had the same "AHCI
controller reset" problem.

I'm not really sure how best to deal with this -- the machine needs to
be working, that's for sure, as it is the machine where I do most of my
FreeBSD development.

There were no problems with 6.1-RELEASE, it has 4 SATA ports on the
motherboard which makes it useful (although, ironically, there are
probably not enough drive bays as it is a small ASUS barebones system),
and it strikes one as odd that it might be necessary to maintain patches
for consumer off-the-shelf hardware.

Suggestions?

Regards,
BMS