Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:20:05 -0700
From:      Collins Richey <erichey2@attbi.com>
To:        bsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   more help with cups

ok, I now have cups, cups-base, cups-lpd installed from ports.  The cupsd daemon starts just fine and my hp laserjet works to print a test page from cups.

I've added the following line to /etc/inetd.conf (similar except for the path and user) to what's in the cups manual)

printer stream tcp nowait root  /usr/local/libexec/cups/daemon/lpd-cups lpd-cup

The cups manual has a user of lp, but FreeBSD 4.4 has no such user, so I picked root.

When I do a cat xxx | lpr -Plpt0  (that's what my printer is named under cups), The file winds up in the spool, but nothing happens other than the following error in /var/log/messages

Jan 12 12:16:51 dhcppc2 lpd[277]: /dev/lp: No such file or directory

Any ideas?  It's patently obvious that /dev/lp does not exist, but how do I control this?

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - FreeBSD 4.4 + xfce + sylpheed