Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:48:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dietz@cyrix.com (Carl Dietz)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ft (QIC 40/80)

> I guess this explains the troubles I've been having with my new floppy tape
> drive I bought this last week.  It wouldn't work with tar, dd, or mt.  I was
> beginning to think that something was wrong with the tape drive, 'cause the
> FreeBSD docs say that the floppy tape is supported.  FreeBSD was recognizing
> it at boot-up, but wouldn't do anything else with it.
>
> I only bought the thing because FreeBSD said it supported it, and I can't
> afford to buy the SCSI DAT drive that I'd really love to have (pipe dream :-) ).

You have to use the ft filter between your program and the floppy tape
device.

> But the FreeBSD documentation never said that it wasn't fully supported like
> the SCSI tape drives are.

It's *impossible* to fully support the things without heavy kernel
hacking on timer code and allowing kernel preemption (or buzz-looping).

The NEC floppy controller chips used in most PC's doesn't have a FIFO,
so it takes realtime features (or like DOS, running *only* the special
backup software and no other programs) to support the things.

> How exactly is the QIC 80 120MB floppy tape drive supported under FreeBSD ?

With a filter.

> Since tar, dd, and mt don't work, what do I use to read/write from/to the
> drive ?

man ft

> Or should I just flush my new tape drive down the toilet ?

New !== Good.  You *can* use it, however, as long as you follow the rules
and use the ft filter.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---