Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAIDION drive arrays

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> If it has write back cache, you have a reason to look at it :-)

    The fellow at Tenex didn't have the answer to most of my
questions, but he took a list back to one of his engineers and he'll
get back to me on Monday.  ;-)

> I've been considering trying something like a Mylex DAC960SI (?),
> SCSI-to-SCSI RAID controller, simply for the cache you can stick on
> it.

    The CMD Daytona RAIDarray looks like a winner in this arena.  I'm
interested in the version with their CRD-5300 integrated with a
six-bay tower.  It will take up to 64MB of battery-backed RAM,
supports hot-swappable drives, supports command queueing and has
redundant power supplies.  You just have a single SCSI F/W cable
plugged into the back.

http://www.cmd.com/product/raid/daytona.htm

    After spending several hours early Saturday morning reconfiguring
our NFS server because of a bad drive in a conventional external case
with those annoying screw-on drive rails, I'm going to enjoy having a
real cabinet to work with.  :)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.