Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 23:04:56 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        des@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Step1, pam_unix srandomdev fix for review

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 19:55:31 +0000, Mark Murray wrote:

> This works, but strikes me as overkill. This is salt, not cryptographic
> randomness, so 'srandom(junk)' is most likely better as a replacement
> for srandomdev() (where 'junk' can be time(), pid or anything similar).

You can't call srandom() from the libraries for the same purposes as
srandomdev(), i.e. it damages user application current RNG state in the
same way.

I mean this:

1) User call srandom(3)

2) Library calls srandomdev() or srandom(123)

Second step is effectively damages srandom(3) RNG state.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/