Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:39:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        zaphod@imailbox.com
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELETING WINDOWS 95, Please Help

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, jtkipp@students.wisc.edu wrote:

> Moved to chat...
>
> ------------
> "And mama said, That's what you get for jumping on the bed!"
>         Jesse Kipp, zaphod@imailbox.com, jtkipp@students.wisc.edu
> ------------
>
> On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Alex wrote:
>
> > Either way, WP 5.1 was one of the best written programs I've ever used.
> > It was blazingly fast (on a 486 none the less), so I wouldn't doubt that a
> > lot of it was written in assembly.  It even came with a little task
> > swapper thing, that while not as powerful as DeskView, it certianly worked
> > nicely and came with a nice bunch of integrated apps (calendar, mini
> > database, spreadsheet, etc..). Those Mormons sure knew how to code DOS
> > apps back then ;-)
> >
> > - alex
> Wow! I never knew it had half of those features! I ran WP 5.1 on a
> 286/8/640k the only catch was if you typed to fast, the computer would get
> behind when you reached the end of a line... and saving and searching were
> painfully slow... I love WP 5.1, Is the source available? No, I thought
> not... Even a look-a-like with the same features for FreeBSD would be
> really cool.

These were actually part of WP's Office, but still very tightly
integrated (Shell 4.0, notebook (dataperfect was the bigger crummier db),
planperfect, etc..).  It ran 'bout the same on a PC (8088/4.77), but the
8048[6|7] sped tables up pretty nicely (or seemed to).  WP7 Profesional
has some curses based Wp, but I've never used it as it has no trial
version.  Oh well.

- alex