Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:41:35 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: this spam

--ZwgA9U+XZDXt4+m+

On 11/25/01 11:16 PM, Stephen Hovey sat at the `puter and typed:
>=20
> My two cents as a network admin who is kinda sick of this topic from a
> daily issue of it in my work..
>=20
> Use a mail program that doesnt make deleting a message, read or otherwise,
> an act of gymnastics..
>=20
> Accept that if you do anything other that mail your mom, and she NEVER
> sends you and e-greeting, etc., that you will get spam...
>=20
> Never do business with a spammer..=20
>=20
> Press delete, and get over it..  Its just spam..

<RANT>
All good points, but that doesn't  address the point that spammers are
unscrupulous  individuals (and  who  would want  to  do business  with
such  a person?)  who think  nothing of  getting their  advertising by
*STEALING*  the resources  of every  system that  has to  handle their
email outside of their ISP. The  courts have stated that it is illegal
for companies to  market their product by using dialers  to fax fliers
to every  fax number they can,  what makes email that  much different?
Sure, they aren't wasting my paper,  but they are stealing space on my
hard drive  and stealing  my bandwidth  (however little).  Stealing is
stealing, wether it's a penny or a car.

I know I'm probably burning more  cycles on my system trying to filter
it out, but  it's a principle. I'd  rather do that than  give them the
satisfaction of actually getting their crap in front of me.

Now  let's  move  on  to  the  content.  That  recent  message  wasn't
particularly offensive, but  what makes them think  they are targeting
their advertising appropriately?

99.9% of the time, that stuff is so poorly targeted, the people behind
it should be fired on principle alone. Some moron just sent one to the
OpenSSL list asking for marketing  oriented cross links. How stupid is
that?

Now, the  vast majority of  the spam I get  is porn related.  Now that
offends  me.  Not that  I'm  opposed  to  the  existence of  an  adult
entertainment industry, but would they be allowed to send this content
in bulk mailings  thru the USPS? I doubt it.  They don't even consider
that  many of  the people  getting their  messages are  children. Yes,
children. I'm  in my 30s  and I still find  it offensive to  have this
thrown at me  like this. If I  want to buy anything  in this category,
I'll darn well  go find it. I  don't like seeing it  tossed about like
this when I have a 2 year old  that could be walking up behind my wife
at the computer when some spam  loaded with javascript decides to help
her  out by  starting the  browser and  asking her  to join  a bondage
group. That's  offensive. Don't get into  the whole 'she should  use a
real mail  client' thing.  Rare as  you'll hear  me admit  it, Windows
point&clickers have just as much right to the internet as any of us.

Hell, someone just sent a damn Windoze virus to the list, so go figure!

So, yes,  there MUST  be tools  out there to  help minimize  this crap
until the government (all of them) decide to finally think the subject
thru with just a little bit  of intelligence and see that the business
of spam is damaging, offensive,  dishonest, and is so ineffective that
it should simply not be allowed. And I *don't* think the original post
was too far OT,  but I realize this thread is going  that way, so I'll
wrap up.
</RANT>

I could also  go on and on as  to the offenses and logic  and all that
other crap, but  I just realized I'm  also on the verge  of starting a
holy war on this thread, so goodbye.

Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

Every living thing wants to survive.
    -- Spock, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3

--ZwgA9U+XZDXt4+m+

--ZwgA9U+XZDXt4+m+--