Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 14:08:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hsu@clinet.fi, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

> >  > You type <escape> and select it from the menu.  This is the first thing
> >  > listed in the help region at the top of the screen.
> >
> > Really, take a random computer user and try it on him (the less (s)he has
> > used computers the better).  It is worth taking the best available
> > solution, particularly when a utility which will be used very often is
> > selected.
>
> Hmm, think again.
>
> Take a random computer user with enough experience to be realistically
> sitting in front of a Unix system.
>
> Point them at 'ee' or 'vi' at random, and guage their responses.
>
> Given that I've been doing just that for some time now, I'll tell you
> which works out better 8)

By default, unless otherwise specified, "showmode" should be on in vi.
I put it in /etc/vi.exrc on the systems I install.

It is much easier to guess a single letter command prefix than a
control code... there are, after all, only 101 possibilities, and not
all of them can be active anyway because of the need to work on
dumb terminals.

Personally, I think a simple editor is one with a "press XXX for help"
message on a status bar at all times.  Or map "ESC" and "^C" to help,
since that is what the panicing user will type.  PICO qualifies, even
if I'd never use it.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---