Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 12:49:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wscott@ichips.intel.com (Wayne Scott)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, coredump@onyx.nervosa.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How

> > > Just how dangerous is it to mount disks with async? If your machine
> > > somehow crashes, do you rick losing all your data? Of course, you risk
> > > that with sync also...
> >
> > IMO, very dangerous.
>
> Terry,
>
> Thanks for a good explaination of sync vs. async.
>
> I believe the Linux ext2 file system is always async.  Is that
> filesystem just as unstable or do they do something else to make it
> easier to recover in the case of a crash.
>
> I have crashed Linux systems many many times and have not noticed a
> real problem recovering.  Am I just lucky?

The combine metadata writes.  This makes it less likely that the
damage would be spread out (BSD async does the same thing).

They sync frequently.  This reduces the effectiveness of the cache
and of the async settings.

I think you have just been lucky.

The typical "benchmark" they "win" on is the massive create followed
by the massive delete in the lmbench suite, and Larry McVoy is known
to have a strong personal bias toward Linux.

I can not think of a situation that is not an abuse of the file
system as a database (like terminfo files, only worse), or is not
an administrative function (where an async mount could be done
relatively safely) that would need the ability to create and then
delete a lot of files fast.

The benchmark *claims* compilers -- but since temp file systems
can be non-persistant across reboots, both async and ramdisk
approaches are viable, and the ramdisk approach is significantly
faster.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---