Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:48:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Jim Weeks wrote:

> Full circle indeed!  This brings us back to the original problem, why
> aren't these requests coming through the gateway in the first place.  I
> haven't had a strait answer to that question yet.  Any enlightenment would
> be appreciated.

I'm going to put my $0.02 in here.

Let's say you have two nets, call them a and b.

We'll say they're subnets of the same "classful c" such as:

192.168.1.64-127 and 192.168.1.128-191.  Note these are both
255.255.255.192 subnets.

Let's say you have a router which is connected to both subnet a and b,
with an address of 192.168.1.65 and 192.168.1.129 for each subnet
respectively.

The proper configuration would be to set up the hosts on each subnet with
an address from that subnet, and set the default router/gateway to the
respective router ip, and a netmask of 255.255.255.192.

Each host should be able to get to every other host, regardless of the
subnet, if this is set up correctly.

Now lets assume you have a FreeBSD host on subnet a, which has an ip
address of 192.168.1.100 and has a misconfigured netmask of
255.255.255.0.   What is going to happen is that it will be able to reach
everything on it's subnet, but not those of subnet b.

When it tries to reach a host on subnet b, it will look at the address,
say 192.168.1.150, and then see if it is in the same subnet as the freebsd
box.   Since net netmask is 255.255.255.0, it thinks that all of
192.168.1.x is in it's subnet, and as a result, starts sending out arp
packets asking for the MAC address of 192.168.1.150.  Since .150 isn't on
the same wire, NOTHING RESPONDS (unless the router is kind enough to do
proxy arp - which it shouldn't do).   And then you get the errors you were
seeing.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE