Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:05:30 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Frank Shute <frank@esperance-linux.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: things-Mail: update

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 01:02:50PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 07:00:50PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 12:44:55AM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > >
> > > You can get mutt to launch embedded URLs in a browser by installing
> > > urlview and setting up your mailcap. Just thought I'd mention it.
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > 	WOW!  Where is urlview and what exactly do I add to ~/.mailcap??
>
> Urlview is in ports: textproc/urlview
>
> Looking at the urlview manpage, it looks like I was mistaken and it
> has nothing to do with mailcap but you need the following in
> ~/.urlview:
>
> COMMAND /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox %s
>
> Then when you hit Ctl-b in mutt you're presented with a list of pages
> extracted from the e-mail that you can then scroll through and open in
> the browser. I don't think I had to do anything to my .muttrc
>
> Voila! No more cut and pasting - took me years before I found it :(

	Well, thanks for getting the word out to those of us
	who are more comfortable with the CLI and some mix of
	graphic tools.  Most of my mail is ASCII or ISO.8859-1,
	but I'll get the occasional bunch of snapshots or whatever
	that is a pain to use.  ....

> As for mailcap, it's useful if you get attachments to your mail so at
> a minimum you want this in ~/.mailcap
>
> text/html;/usr/X11R6/bin/firefox %s
> application/pdf;acroread %s
> application/msword;antiword %s | less    ### Ah, yeah!
> application/postscript;gview %s
> image/gif;xv %s
> image/jpeg;xv %s
> image/png;xv %s
>
> Then mutt can deal with the attachment appropriately.
>

> > 	thanks much,
>
> No worries.
>

> > 	gary
> >
> > 	PS:  I wish there were a GUI/HTML-version of mutt that uses
> > 	     vi and,more imporatant, save mail in ~/Mail .... *but*....
> > 	     ******.
>
> I prefer programs that can work without X and I run qmail so prefer
> Maildirs. You could probably get mutt to use gvim as an editor if
> that's any help.

	I don't have any trouble with  X.  I've gotten used to having
	two or three xterms/workspace.  And by default, I use vi [nvi]
	with mutt.  :-)

> You should be also able to get your browser to use mutt for mailto: in
> html pages. I can tell you how to do that for firefox, I think.
>
> Another thing to get going with mutt (if you're dealing with a lot of
> mail) is procmail. You can set up a bunch of maildirs and sort your
> mail into each one to then be read by mutt at your leisure.
>
> --
>
>  Frank

	I'll pass on procmail; I've used t back in the 90's but it
	was overkill.   It's good enough to store mail in ~/Mail/<user>.
	I've written several program to cleanse mail of all but headers
	and  the body.

	thanks again,

	gary

--