Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:59:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any success with CirrusLogic 6729/6730???

> An ISA PCIC is undoubtedly an ISA device from the hardware's point of
> view. It has an ISA bus interface, and is connected to an ISA bus side
> of a PCI<->ISA bus bridge (south bridge).
> Why do you call it as "not an ISA device" ?
>
> Why do you ignore the hardware connection topology, and stick to
> "an PCIC is NOT an ISA device" ? What is the reason ?

I don't.  You do.

A PCIC is not an ISA device.

An ISA-connected PCIC is an ISA device.

A PCI-connected PCIC is a PCI device.

An EISA-connected PCIC is an EISA device.

A USB-connected PCIC is a USB device.

A SCSI-connected PCIC is a SCSI device.

This is the point I have been trying to make all along.  I think your
misunderstanding is that you read "a PCIC is not an ISA device" as "a
PCIC cannot be an ISA device", but all it means is "a PCIC is not
always an ISA device".

In logical notation,

 {x} E {pcic devices} !-> {x} E {isa devices}

(The fact that x is a pcic device does not mean that x is an ISA
 device.)

I also find the newconfig configuration file syntax abhorrent, which is
what I mean by "not dynamic".  To build pcic support into a kernel
using new-bus, one needs:

controller	pcic0

Even this is redundant if the driver is loaded as a KLD.  Bus
attachments are not specified in the configuration file (and shouldn't
be).