Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:14:36 -0600
From:      Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        Sergei Gnezdov <sgnezdov@pobox.com>
Cc:        Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Software mirgration from Windows for my friend

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:50:03 -0800
Sergei Gnezdov <sgnezdov@pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to consider if my friend can migrate from windows.  Do you
> know of a good user friendly alternatives (may be not as powerful)?
> I might be able to answer most of the items, but I'd like to make
> sure that I know about the options:
>
> Alternatives for:
>
> - MS Office XP.  I don't think he has very complex documents.

	Texmacs, OpenOffice, KOffice, or AbiWord should all work nicely.

> - ACDSE 5.0, Photoshop.  I am not convinced that he edits or creates
> images.

	GIMP.

> - WinRAR and WinZIP

	Several choices under ports/archivers.

> - WinAMP

	XMMS or one of the many one in the ports.

> - Virtual CD

> - Some kind of CD Burner

	I suggest a combo of burncd, mkisofs, and mc. It is not really
intuitive or whatever at first, but it works rather nice after reading
the related mans. If you want something with a more traditional GUI,
there are a few in the ports.

> - Some DVD Player
> - AC3filter

	Both MPlayer and Xine should handle AC3 with out problems.

> - Decoding DVD to AVI (I have no idea why anybody would need this)

	MPlayer is great for this and there are a few DVD ripping programs in
the portstree. Now if there only a nice front end to the win32 port.
^_^

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html