Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2000 01:04:19 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Joe Konecny <jkonecn@green-mfg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blocking web access/allow email

Joe Konecny wrote:

> Is it a pain to block web access and allow email access to
> workstations (running win9x) using my fbsd firewall.  I'm
> thinking that because I'm running DHCP I will have to constantly
> monitor what machine has what ip address and make sure that they
> are blocked.  Then a savy user could enter an address instead
> of the DHCP address.  Any tips?

Web acces is done using port 80, SMTP, POP and IMAP use other ports. So
block port 80 everywhere.
If you're using dhcp, you should have defined one block of network
adresses for dhcpds use. There is no problem to restrict the rule above
to the network block used by dhcp.

OTOH...
allow SMTP POP IMAP from any to <dhcp_addr_block>
deny all
will surely block everything except mail.

HTH
-Christoph Sold