Date:      Thu, 22 May 2014 15:03:58 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM_PART: Integrity check failed (ada2, MBR)

For the benefit of posterity, I though that I should mention here
(so that it goes into the archives) that after much fumbling around
I did finally salvage the 1TB drive that I have that was apparently
goofed up by my 2006 vintage Gigabyte motherboard.  (As I had pre-
viously reported, older Gigabyte motherboards can, apparently,
screw up a 1TB drive in such a way as to make it appear to only
have a capacity of 31 MB... or 32 MB... or 33.3 MB, depending on
what tool is doing the counting.)

The tool that I used for this repair task, in the end, was HDAT2,
which is apparently a very powerful tool with a lot of features.

Unortunately, whereas HDAT2 has lots of capabilities for fiddling
lots of low-level disk settings, its fine feature set is somewhat
compensated for by the fact that its user interface is, um, rather
sub-optimal.  Thus, it was not immediately apparent how to achieve
the goal while using HDAT2.

Here is the short version of how to do it:

1)  On the main menu, use the up/down arrow keys to select (highlight)
which drive you want to perform the operation on.  Then hit enter or
return.

2)  On the next menu that comes up, use the up/down arrow keys again
to select the "HPA" sub-menu.  Hit enter/return.

3)  On the HPA sub-menu select "Set Max Address" and hit enter/return.

4)  On the next screen you see, there should be various well-labeled
numbers displayed, in particular the drive's current real (physical)
capacity and also the current logical capacity.  Also, there are two
fields where you can indicate how many sectors you want, in future, to
be in the "user" area and how many in the "hidden" area.  These should
by default already be set to (a) the actual number of physical sectors
and (b) zero, respectively.  If not, then set them to whatever you want
them to be.

5)  Hit the "S" (Set) key.  (This was the part that was less than
entirely obvious.)

6)  Hit the ESC key a few times until you find yourself back at a command
prompt.

7)  Power down the machine.

8)  You are now done and your drive has been fixed.  Live in harmony
and happiness for the rest of your days, or at least until some other
motherboard manufacturer decides to give it to you without even the
benefit of Vaseline.

Regards,
rfg