Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:47:20 +0100
From:      "Jacco" <jacco@lionsoft.xs4all.nl>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Starting kornshellscripts as services

Hi All,

Lately I developed some kornshell scripts to monitor various activities on
my firewall.
The script is an eternal loop. At this moment I start this script like:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-start
ing-services.html

When my FreeBSD 4.4 system reboots, the boot proces does not finish. The
boot proces stops at the start of my kornshell script and his eternal loop.
This results in: not be able to logon the console of this machine exept when
I kill the process of this script. It seems that this kornshell script is
running on foreground. I would realy like to start it on the background.

I've already tried to start the script with the "nohup" option and the "&"
at the end of the row that starts the kornshell script.

My question is: Is it possible to start home-made kornshell scripts like a
service on the background. Is the way I'm trying to start this script the
right one? Are there any different ways to start kornshell scripts in the
background as a part of the bootproces?

Thanks in advance,
Jacco