Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:41:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

Gregory Bond writes:
;->> Yeah, I did that. /usr/local is on /usr, and /home has stuff that's
;->> local on it. It's just a minor annoyance (as opposed to, say, Windows
;->> UI behavior, which is a major annoyance).
;->This is an old, old, _OLD_ problem.  I personally have been dealing with it
;->since the days of mod.sources. I even remember the wrenching sensation that
;->came from discovering that there were these very substantial, useful programs
;->out there and people _just gave them away_.  The mind boggled.

I'm old enough to have gone the other way - the first time I ran into programs that people treated like *property*, I boggled. I was used to software being either 1) something the hardware manufacturer gave you as part of the machine lease/purchase so it would be useful, or 2)
something that was free.

;->For many years we have (on our Sun systems) had a /usr/local/{bin,lib,sbin,etc}
;->hierarchy for stuff from the net (etc) that isn't part of the OS, and /usr/
;->local/<org>/{bin,lib,etc} for locally-developed stuff.  It's a 3-way
;->distinction that has proved very useful.

I never saw that one - stuff in /usr/local we put on after the base OS
install, and generally had people on-site to look at and possible fix,
whether we it was written locally or not.

We did migrate things through /usr/local/new and /usr/local/old if it
looked like there were incompatabilities.

	<mike