Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 09:33:31 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>, questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fdisk update, background NFS mounting?

At 15:17 23/8/95, Charles N. Owens wrote:
>Hi all,
>For anyone interested, I was able to get my 4 gig scsi drive going.  I
>couldn't get fdisk to do it's thing (at least as far as I could tell), so
>instead I simply booted from the install floppy and did a minimal install
>on the the new drive.  Worked like a charm.  It is a bit of a kludgy way
>to go, though.  Why can't we have a utility that has the brains of sysinstall
>that shields us from the fdisk and disklabel yuckiness?

Oh boys and girls! Some other soul has seen these problems also!

Yes, I did try this "install way" of disk init also. It did work. And it
would be quite nice IF the install would not insist to load something form
net into the root partition. That is W (Write) command is missing from
disklabel/fdisk screen. It is writing dikslabel+fdisk info after you start
installing software (the "confirm" must be accepted).

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !