Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:17:45 -0500
From:      Scott Corey <Scott@bsdprophet.org>
To:        vass D <vassd2000@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best place for installing...

1st: Being that you are such a newbie, you maybe should stick with the
port/packages. Since they will install the program in the right
directories.

2nd Usually all sources have a README file and a INSTALL file, that
should be read before installing the program.

3rd Unless you really want a custom installation (i.e. maybe unstable)
most files go into /usr/local/bin. It just depends on what you want in
that program. You also can make a /bin in you home directory, but that
is way far in advance of a newbie.

Again I stress that you should use the ports/packages when installing a
program. It is the best way to keep track of your programs, and make
upgrading a lot easier. Rolling you own, should be left up to the gurus,
or at least it is not for newbies.

Scott