Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2013 02:28:21 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the "thinnest" display manager available?

On Nov 28, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Da Rock wrote:

> On 11/29/13 01:46, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 2013, at 5:10 AM, James Griffin wrote:
>>=20
>>>        On 11/27/13 06:55, Walter Hurry wrote:
>>>        > On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:59:07 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
>>>        >
>>>        >> Source: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-xdm.html
>>>        >>
>>>        >> Allow me to ask the following question:
>>>        >>
>>>        >> Is xdm (and as far as I know, also wdm) still an exception fr=
om the
>>>        >> "rc.conf rule", or how is it supposed to be started on "more =
modern"
>>>        >> versions?
>>>        > I'd be interested in the answer to that too, as I use XDM on t=
tyv8 per
>>>        > the handbook, and it has been faultless for me.
>>>        I still use ttys like Polytropon, but I believe recommended prac=
tice is
>>>        to use an rc.d system - just nobody has/could be bothered actual=
ly
>>>        writing one :D
>>>=20
>>>        Maybe I'll (or someone else) get a round tuit one day, but I wou=
ldn't
>>>        hold your breath: it's been on the books for near a decade :)
>>>        _______________________________________________
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Actually, I came across a script written by someone for the CDE desktop.
>>> It would be easy to modify it for another X11 DM (I would think).
>>>=20
>>> Might be helpful to someone looking for a script of that type.
>> Funny to see someone say "it's been on the books for near a decade"
>>=20
>> At $work, we launched xdm from rc.d for about that long (a decade)
>> and then moved away from it (toward ttys).
>>=20
>> Dusted off and attached for your pleasure.
>>=20
>>=20
> Wow, awesome! I'll look at using that... :D
>=20
> Have you considered committing it to the port? And why move away from tha=
t to ttys again?

Reason we first started putting the onus on an rc.d script was because we w=
anted the
script to be able to decide (based on the hostname) whether XDM would be st=
arted or not.

HINT: Hostnames that are known to be workstations (versus servers) would st=
art XDM,
otherwise XDM is not started.

Well, when we migrated from FreeBSD-4.11 to FreeBSD-8, we found that XDM ha=
d changed
considerably, and was no longer the animal we had patches for.

Being in the situation that our old patches would not apply, we decided...

We're going to write one from scratch. In Perl/Tk.

In that rewrite, we moved the logic into the application. So now...

Every machine has an entry for our display manager and the display manager =
decides
(again, based on the hostname) whether to start X and display a login windo=
w, otherwise
just launch getty for the vty.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.