Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:23:52 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kde@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   unkillable multithreaded processes stuck in `STOP' state

Hello!

This happened twice already -- first with KMail and now with Kontact.
A process crashes as usual (KDE's 3.3.0 release was of unusually low
quality), and seems to go away, except it does not. It stays in the
`STOP' (according to top(1)) or in the `T' (as per ps(1)) state and
can not be killed -- neither with -CONT, nor with -KILL.

There is also a zombie-child of it:

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS MWCHAN STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
 1042  1096     1  57   8  0 68044 50524 -      T     ??    0:27,88 kontact
 1042  4903  1096   0 -84  0     0    0 -      Z     ??    0:03,07 <defunct>

This is all, probably, due to something in KDE's attempts to capture
crashes and collect backtraces for better bug reports. But whatever bugs
they may have there, having an unkillable process -- of any kind -- worries
me greatly. Is this a known issue, or is a PR warranted?

I'm running a fresh -current with libpthread.so by default, using a P4
with HTT enabled -- two "logical processes", one of which is occupied by
setiathome -- my way of testing out a new motherboard.

Thanks!

 -mi