Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:14:59 +0100
From:      Michiel Detailleur <md@scoutsengidsenvlaanderen.be>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS snapshot name length limit? (File name too long)

Hi,

I'm using sysutils/zfs-snapshot-mgmt for automatic creation and purging
of ZFS snapshots. It creates snapshot names like this (zfsfilesys is not
the actual name of the zfs filesystem, it's actually a bit longer. Why
is this important? See below.):

zfsfilesys@auto-2010-03-10_06.00

Clean and simple naming scheme you would think, but when I ls -la
zfsfilesys/.zfs/snapshot, I get output from ls:

ls: auto-2010-03-10_06.00: File name too long

This happens for all snapshots with names longer than 16 characters for
this particular zfs file system.

Snapshots shorter than 16 characters are listed.

drwxr-xr-x   12 root  wheel   23 Dec 24 14:06 2010-02-02-00/

The name of the actual file system is 56 characters, starting from 'tank/'
For file systems with shorters names, longer snapshot names *are*
accessible.

This seems to imply a maximum length of 72 characters (snapshot '@' sign
excluded) for *usable* snapshots? (usable in the sense that we can
mount/look into them)

What limit am I (we?) hitting here? Is this a problem with ZFS itself or
with FreeBSD? Sure looks like a silly limit for the filesystem that
touts 'biggest everything'.

I'm using FreeBSD 8.0, the zpool was freshly created on the 8.0 OS (not
upgraded from older FreeBSD ZFS version).

Thanks for any insight on this problem.

--
Michiel Detailleur
Medewerker Informatica